Passed January 11, 2005, at the 195th NTU Library Committee Meeting
The National Taiwan University Library (hereafter referred to as “the Library”) offers assistance for surveys and arranges interviews to meet its users’ needs for teaching, research and thesis writing. The services are offered based on the Library’s Notices for Obtaining Assistance in Conducting Research and Surveys.
- The requestor must supply complete personal information (including contact information) so the Library can decide whether assistance may be provided. The Library has the right to deny any requestor who does not provide complete information:
(a)Course Homework: requestor’s name, school/department/year, course name, instructor’s name
(b)Research Projects: name of research assistant, name of project, name of research director
(c)Thesis Writing: requestor’s name, name of school and institute, thesis title, name of advisor
- The content of research or surveys should be related to the library affairs. Librarians may decide whether or not to agree to personal interviews.
- Answers will not be given to questions concerning the Library’s human resources and budget.
- Existing statistical data will be provided by the library. The Library will not, however, compile other statistical data upon request.
- Visitors must make an appointment prior to arrival. Times for interviews are 9:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00, Monday through Friday.
- The Library’s website offers a variety of information services. In the case that answers to the requestor’s questions can be found on the website, the Library will direct the requestor to the website and will not grant any interviews or document reply.
- The Library has a no-solicitation policy.
- All requests must go through the Office of the University Librarian:
(a)Course Homework: The course instructor or department office must write or e-mail the Office of the University Librarian specifying research needs.
(b)Research Projects: The research director must write or e-mail the Office of the University Librarian specifying research needs.
(c)Thesis Writing: The graduate student must write or e-mail the Office of the University Librarian specifying research needs, attached with a thesis proposal for the Library’s reference.
- The Office of the University Librarian will notify the requestor’s institution of the decision whether or not to provide assistance after the request is processed by the relevant department(s).
- Assistance is offered by the Library’s relevant department(s). Requestors must schedule an appointment one week in advance and e-mail or fax survey questionnaires to the department(s) responsible.
- When a project does not involve library affairs or staff but involves research conducted in the Library, please notify the Readers Service Department in advance. The Library has the right to deny requests that would disturb or affect patron rights.
- The Library does not distribute survey questionnaires.
- A copy of the final written study or thesis citing library sources or interviews conducted in the library should be provided for the Library’s collection.
E.These notices and any amendments thereof take effect following approval by the NTU Library Working Committee.