NTU Thesis/Dissertation: Delaying Public Access of a Thesis/Dissertation
1. Article 16 of the Degree Conferral Act and Article 15, paragraph 2, subparagraph 3 of the Copyright Act, “where the work is a Masters thesis or doctoral dissertation written under the ‘Degree Conferral Act’ and the author has obtained a degree,”“the author shall be presumed to have consented to the public release of the work.” And, the thesis/dissertation will be made available to the public to read within the Library in print form or by accessing electronic data files using independent equipment.
2. If, however, the content of the thesis/dissertation involves confidential information, patent matters, or is not permitted to be provided on statutory grounds, the author can apply to delay or prevent public access.He/she must fill in the required 「 National Taiwan University dissertation Delaying Public Access application form」and submit it together with his/her thesis/dissertation to the NTU Library. (Public access to a thesis/dissertation can be delayed for 5 years at most, according to the regulations of the Ministry of Education.)
3. The application form(s) should contain the signatures of the applicant’s adviser and the director of the graduate institute. Also, the number of copies of the form should match that of the thesis/dissertation.
4. If an author wants to delay public access to the print copies of his/her thesis/dissertation after submitting them to the Library, he/she should follow the application process detailed above. For those copies that have been submitted to the Nation Central Library, please contact the National Central Library to delay public access.
5. If an applicant wants to change the date on which his/her work is open to public access, he/she should fill and submit the「 National Taiwan University dissertation Delaying Public Access application form」again. The application form should contain the signatures of the applicant’s thesis adviser and the director of the graduate institute. Also, the number of copies of the form should match that of the thesis/dissertation. For those copies that have been submitted to the Nation Central Library, please contact the Nation Central Library to delay public access.
NTU Library TEL:02-3366-2366
Nation Central Library TEL:02-2361-9132 #171
For the Electronic copy of a Thesis/Dissertation
1. When uploading the electronic file of his/her thesis/dissertation, a graduate student should fill in the information concerning copyright authorization and the date on which the work is to be open to public access. The NTU Theses &Dissertation Copyright License Agreement will be emailed to the student. The student should print the form out, put in his/her signature and submit the form to the Library before leaving school. However, the date for public access on the form pertains only to the electronic copy of the thesis/dissertation. If the author wishes to delay access to the print copies, he/she should follow the application process detailed in the section above.
2. If an author wants to change the content of his/her copyright license or the date on which his/her thesis/dissertation will be open to public access, he/she should fill in the required 「National Taiwan University dissertation Altering Copyright License Authorization application form」and submit it to the Readers’ Services Division of the NTU Library.